Friday, January 2, 2009

Do I Need GPS?

Yesterday, as I was grazing with the rest of the sheep, looking for so-called tech bargains at the local mark-up tech shop, my attention closed in on a nifty little Magellan GPS. I felt the immediate, lower gut feeling that I needed this. I was blinded by the dazzling light that seemed to emanate from the enticing packaging, I needed it and didn't understand why.

Was it because I often got lost while driving and found myself in strange places that I did not want to be in? The answer is NO, I never get lost because I don't often drive very far, excluding the occasional trip somewhere south, and I usually over-plan for those trips anyway. So what was it about this electronic GPS Navigation System device that had me mesmerized, as if I was under its spell? I didn't know, and so I did what I always do when I don't quite understand a need for something. I put the box down and headed to another isle, hoping to forget all about it.

This small example makes the big difference because I've been fooled in the past into buying things I did not need. I'm sure most of you have been fooled too. That's not to say that I feel that a GPS isn't valuable or needed, but only that it is offering something that most of us can do without. And let's face it, a road map is often much more useful than a GPS. So let's take a fresh look at the most hated things about marketing. The fact that most of us end up owning useless stuff that just piles up on our shelves is an indication that marketing companies are earning their pay. If you've ever purchased something only to bring it home and not open it for a day or more, then you'll know what I'm talking about, you've just blown your hard earned cash on an item you probably don't need. It is this very mindset that has led me to take a similar with GPS and that is why I decided to forgo the purchase of the Magellan GPS.

So the next time you find yourself staring at something, internally debating on its practicality and usefulness in your life, do what I did. Put it back on the shelf and move on.

1 comment:

Portable GPS said...

Useful read describing the importance of GPS. Basically GPS is satellite navigation system that is fully functional which is used for map making, land surveying and scientific researches. SO it is the requirement of todays.